Okay, I tried to make this dish as light as possible. Lets face it, sometimes on a Sunday morning you just need a big hearty breakfast. This Cream Cheese, Banana & Peanut Butter Stuffed French Toast will always do the trick….Elvis would be proud.
Cream Cheese, Peanut Butter & Banana Stuffed French Toast
- 2 Slices Bread (not specific I know, but use whichever type you want, preferably NOT white bread because it will not hold up to the batter)
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (feel free to use chunky if it floats your boat)
- 1 ounce “Greek” Cream Cheese and Greek Yogurt
- 1 ripe banana (Unless you like the unripe taste…no thanks!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk (usually heavy cream is used in some French toast batters, but it is not necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 cup dark brown sugar (as I have said before, it is so much better than light brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Non-Stick cooking spray as needed
Using an electric mixer beat together the peanut butter and cream cheese. Spread evenly between the two slices of bread. Slice the banana to desired thickness and put it on the bread as well. Make a sandwich with the two slices and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, whole milk, cinnamon, dark brown sugar and pure vanilla extract until combined.
Spray a non-stick pan with the cooking spray and turn on medium-low heat. While the pan is heating up dip your sandwiches in the batter for about 5-10 seconds per side. (too long and your bread will fall apart) Sear the sandwiches until golden brown on each side and the batter is cooked about 3-4 minutes per side.
Drizzle the French toast with maple syrup and I topped mine with crispy crumbled bacon